Who We Are:
Since 2011 the Monira Foundation (formerly Mana Residencies) has awarded rent-free, non-living studio space to artists for 12 months periods at Mana Contemporary, Jersey City. Up to now these awards have been through invitation only, but for the first time in the summer of 2021 we will be accepting artists through an open call.
Our mission is to provide a stimulating, rigorous, and contemplative environment in which talented and committed artists benefit from a large studio workspace and the support of a vital creative surrounding community. Studio space is still critical to the practices of the overwhelming majority of artists but remains at a premium, especially in the New York tri-state area; a residency at Monira facilitates continued production and helps strengthen professional and intellectual bonds among diverse individuals.
Monira Foundation Artist in Residence Program supports established artists who work in visual arts media. All applicants must be at least 21, American citizens or Permanent Residents of the United States, not be enrolled in a degree-granting program at the time of their residency, have a 5 year public presentation or exhibition record, and be able to demonstrate a need for studio space. We encourage artists working in all visual media to apply.
The residency start will stagger start months for each awarded artist beginning October 15th 2021 through April 2022.
Application Overview :
• Name, address, email, website, and practice discipline.
• Artist statement which addresses you practice and process (200 words)
• Residency statement which addresses how you will use your studio and what you might give back to the program through a public engagement. This can include a talk, digital presentation or performance, workshop, or anything that fits your practice and will connect with the Jersey City community. (300words)
• CV with at least 5 years of public presentations, exhibitions, or equivalent.
• 8 Image based Work samples or 2 Audio/ video files or links
• An portfolio description sheet that includes title, date, medium, scale, and notes.
Why a Fee?
This modest $15 helps pay our reviewers / curators for the time spent reviewing and thoroughly considering each submission. It also supports the program so that it can continue year to year. If this is truly a hardship please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are happy to help if you need guidance on the application. While we cannot give feedback on portfolio or writing specifically we can answer questions or concerns about the application itself. We are also happy to help if you need accessibility assistance. Please email Emily Sussman at email@example.com.